Thursday, November 6, 2008

Me and my Darth 90

First there was darkness...and then.. there was the D90!!!

They say that the nikonians are the dark side of the force, I dont know what the hell that means I have surely fallen to the darkside and thus taken an apprentice named D90 or Darth Nine-T

Not the first...

Well to be honest, ths D90 was not my first DSLR, my first DSLR was the Olympus E-420 bought ealier in 2008. Its not that I am a gadget luster (maybe just a little bit) but it's truly after you have bought your first DSLR than and only then you would know what are the limitations and features that you really need or miss. To tell you the truth I really wanted to get the D50 or D70 about 2 years ago way back in 2006 but putting it on hold, nikon came out with the D40/40x and D60. I was crushed to find out the these 3 entry level DSLRs could not autofocus with some AF-d lenses. Other hobbies of mine like mobile phones and laptops made me brush aside my desires for a DSLR. So I got a Prosumer a sony V3 and used it for awhile to brush up on my manual skills first.

The darkside poison...

The biggest poison was when I bought a nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.4 lens. via an adapter, I used this lens on my Olympus E-420 body and it produced amazing results. So I thought, err what if I wanted to autofocus with this lens? I need a nikon body, so I sold off a few of my stuffs, gathered money and went looking for a nikon body. The choices were down to a D80, a D90 or a D200.

Climbing down from mount Olympus...

After using the olympus I was used to a few features, one of it was live view!! and the other was sensor autoclean since I dont have a dust free room :P. The D90 had all these features and a bit more. Compared to the E-420 I appreciated the nice grip and the built in AF assist lamp an the availability of a wide range of lens and third party accessories.

What I started with...

I chose the body only option when I got my D90 because I already have the wonderful nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.4 for amzing bokeh and lowlight. The kit lens set was around RM1300 more expensive and came with the nikkor 18-105mm VR lens f3.5-5.6 getting the body only option I spent the money I save getting a 55-200mm VR zoom lens for my street sniper shots and also an 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 lens for wide angle. Later I bought a crumpler neck strap just for fun and being trendy. With these three lenses I was ready for anything, wide party shots, zooming and spy mode outings and low light and nice portraits.

sample photos















































My Darth Nine-T needs a lightsaber....after all what is a sith lord without a light saber...

No comments: